Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Smartie That Saved My Sanity

Have you ever had one of those parenting 'issues' you just can't seem to solve?

Mine (in this moment) was getting K to stop calling us after we've laid him down for the night. 

We'd go thru our 'routine' of pajamas, storybook, brush teeth, go potty, sip of water, turn on music, filter, sing song... you know.  And no matter what, there would be at least 4-5 calls from that room after we left.  

Drove. Me. Nuts.

And nothing seemed to work.  No matter how prepped we were.  No matter what tone we used -from sweet & loving (the only one that calms him down) to fierce 'I'm-so-serious' faces & teeth-grinding.  No matter if it were me or Cuban Daddy.  No matter what toys we took away (Put them time-out.  Yes, this actually works wonders during the day.).  No matter what, he would call. And call.  And call.  And I would lose it just a little more.

And then a Smartie candy saved my sanity.

It was like an idea, gift wrapped from God.  One day, during his nap, I was racking my brain about what to do.  And then it hit me.  My kids LOVE candy.  They rarely get it, so it's reserved as a super special treat.  

So I tried the plan.  When I went to tuck him in, I showed him the one Smartie.  I let him smell it, hold it, look at it. (Stop laughing.)  And then we put it on his dresser where he could see it.  I told him if he called anyone, cried, or got out of his bed, I would come and eat it.  Seriously, ya'll, I did.  And it worked perfectly!  

Not. A. Peep. 

Praise Jesus!  I couldn't believe it.  Of course, knowing my son, I knew that the day would come where I'd have to eat the Smartie.  A few days of awesomely perfect bedtime behavior passed, and then he called.  Shoot!  I didn't want to do it. 

I went in, asked what he wanted (for me to turn another light on), took the Smartie off the dresser, sat on the bed so he could get a good look...and ate it.  

Total. Meltdown.

It was so tough.  But, I knew it had to happen.  I let him have a couple mins to calm down, and left.  A few sad minutes later, he was asleep. 

And it's not happened again.  He knows Mama means business when she says she'll eat his candy.



Look what I got!

A little less stress, a little more sugar, 

~ 6 in Love ~

No comments:

Post a Comment