Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Good, the Great, the Expensive, & the Long

Time for an update!

Nearly a week ago, I emailed a list of questions about the Dossier to our agency.  I needed the answers before I could do anything else for it.  (Cuban Daddy is still working on his part).  Anyways, I waited & checked my email several times a day for her response.  She's usually so good about getting back to me.  Sometimes, it takes her a couple of days to respond b/c she may have to consult w/ their correspondent in Honduras, so I didn't want to be pushy.  But, by now, I was really restless having not heard back.  CD said, "Just call her."  I'd so rather email than call...for anything. I get sweaty hands calling to order a pizza.  Wimp.  

But I did.  I called today.  And guess what?  She picked up right away, apologized sincerely for having not gotten back to me yet, and then proceeded to answer ALL of my questions right on the spot! Getting straight answers today. - The Good.

So, I'm wildly scratching notes down as she talks, trying to get as much info down as possible.  We went through my email to make sure she covered everything.  There were questions about 2 of our 3 references, and thought we might have to redo them due to tiny (ridiculous) *paperwork rules*. (I felt so bad...they were already doing us a favor once, and I didn't want to have to ask again.)  She said b/c it was only one document done in that way, and not the entire Dossier, that it would be fine.  Seriously!?  I couldn't believe that.  Awesome! The references would work as is.   - More Good.

I couldn't find certain contact information for apostilling (I finally learned how to pronounce this word...I was saying it all wrong)  documents in our state.  So, she was able to help me with that, which was great.  Also, she told me even more details than I think I would've found out if she had emailed the response, so that was a bonus.  Extra information that may save time later-  More Good.  

Okay, so for the big thing on my mind- Were the 4 of us going to have to get complete physicals, complete with bloodwork, done AGAIN?!  I was dreading this....  My first understanding was no (months ago), then when I last talked to our agency, their answer was yes, we did.  Ugh!  They are not fun- trust me.    I looked through all of the Dossier paperwork/instructions/etc. again, looking for a sort of 'loophole' so we didn't have to.  And guess what?!  There was no 'date of exam' listed on the needed form.  So... what this means is: IF we can get our physician and the kids' pediatrician to sign that they have examined us (They HAVE...it's just been several months) and that we are all perfectly healthy (Thank God, we are!), we are good to go!  So we just have to see if they'd be willing to do this.  I have no idea why they wouldn't, but you never know.  Cuban Daddy and I DO have to redo our blood work/analysis/HIV/drug testing/etc. & wait for the results on that.  But, a few more needles-  no biggie.  CD says speak for myself.   Who's the wimp now?    Possibility of ZERO more physicals - The Great.  

So, in getting the information from her regarding apostilling the documents (I was clueless here), I learned that it costs $10 PER piece of paper included in the Dossier.  Say what?!  - The  Expensive



So, I'm feeling pretty pumped.  We can do this.  (Don't get me wrong...I still feel this way!), but then she throws in.  'Now, remember that after you submit your Dossier, it'll have to be translated into Spanish once it gets to Honduras.  And you'll need to pay the 'Translation fee' so we can wire it to them.  They can't begin the Translation until they've received the money."  Me; "And the translation fee is...?"  Agent: "$2,000."  WHAT on Earth?!  So, needless to say, we did not see that one coming.  - The Outrageously Expensive

Since she's been so helpful & I already have her on the line (Lord knows, I don't wanna call again), I proceed to ask a few more questions about the process, timeline, etc.  I really do like our agent.  She's always so nice, helpful, and always says, "Great question!" to everything I ask.  Wow, how nice is that, right?  She never seems annoyed or frustrated even though I must sound like a 3 year old w/ my long list of questions.  She's great.  Anyways, I was hoping we'd be able to finish the Dossier in a couple weeks (Still possible I think!!), submit, and be on the list in like a month.  That seemed reasonable to me.  But, uh, no.  (Try to follow me here...) So, after we submit to our agency, they'll send the Dossier to Honduras.  Honduras will then translate (a process that alone can take a couple of months!!) every document, review all of the documents, & then register us (which could take another couple of months.)  Then, at one of their randomly (yes, you read that right) scheduled meetings, they'll assign our Dossier a # on the waiting list.  The #.  We are SO waiting for that #.  She said  for example, we may be given #99.  That means there are 98 families in front of us, waiting for  a child from Honduras.  I asked if that were 98 people waiting for 2 siblings, age 0-4, like us...or if that were like everyone waiting for every kind of child?  The good news....it's EVERYONE!  So, there are now 6 US agencies & 3 European agencies that are adopting out of Honduras.  They pile all of the Dossiers from everyone into one long list, regardless of age or gender of desired child.  Then, at the meetings, they 'match' a few of the top-of-the-list Dossiers/families with children ready to be adopted.  Then, everyone moves up the list and is assigned a new number.  We could move up only one number, but likely, we'd move up several numbers per meeting.  Which again, the meetings are random, and happen every few weeks?  There's a little hope in that depending on whom everyone else is 'waiting for.'  If there aren't many in line for siblings we could move up faster!  But, if I'm figuring this right, it could be as late as EARLY FALL before we get on the list.  - The Long.

This is nearly a year later than we had originally thought we'd be on the waiting list.  But, there's nothing we or anyone else, at this time, can do about that.  And, as my good friend continues to remind me, it's all in God's perfect timing.  So we will do what we can, go as fast as we can go, and rest in that.


In the meantime:

We will work.
We will take bloodtests.
We will raise the money.
We will love on G & K.
We will pray.
And we will wait.


Praising God for His goodness, His timeliness, & His perfect plan.
And for getting cut a little break today.  I felt like He was saying,
"See, I got this."  

I love that Guy.

~ 6 in Love ~

2 comments:

  1. There is a large group of us adopting from Honduras. There is a lot of information I think you would find really helpful. (For example, the committee meets at most once a month and many months has not met at all.) We have people at all stages of the process (#1 on the list all the way to #129 on the list - assigned last week). Feel free to email me and I can get you connected. Kim
    girlinsurprise@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim! Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to getting connected with you all. I'll email you. =)

      Delete