Tuesday, July 17, 2012

G: "They Don't Have a Family?"

So, tucking G into bed last night was a little tough.  She started asking questions about her future brother(s)/sister(s) that she'd never asked before.  I love that she's so thoughtful and curious.  I do want her to learn about where her siblings will come from, etc, but slowly & in time.  I mean, she just turned 4 years old.  I feel a need to strike the right balance between protecting her young innocence and teaching her compassion and awareness.


I wanted to share some of our conversation from last night.  I don't remember exactly what sparked this.


G: "Why are we getting babies that speak Spanish?" 
(*Note, if you don't know already, that Cuban Daddy is fluent & teaching G & K.)   
And b/c she's a little too young to say, "Just read the blog Mommy wrote," I went with something simple like, "Because they are from the country of Honduras, and that's the language that they speak there.  When they come to our family, that will probably be the only language they know."  I know this didn't completely address the depths of her question, but there's plenty of time for that!
...


G: "Why don't they want to stay in Honduras?  They don't like it there?"  
Me (something like): "Well, they would rather be with us, in our family."
...


G: "They don't have a family there?" 
 Me, squirming slightly (something like): "No, they don't.  They want to be in our family though! They want to have me as their Mommy, and Daddy, and you as their sister, and K as their brother!"  
...


I tried to end on a positive so she didn't have too much in her little head trying to sleep.  
She seemed (temporarily) satisfied.
...


And then she perked up & smiled, "I have names for them! (the new babies) We'll call the girl 'Bumble Bee Baby' and the boy 'Appley Apple Jack.'"  Yeah, how to react to that??  (* And side note, we do not know the genders of the children we will get; this is just what G thinks!)  Me: "Wow, those are neat names!  Maybe so, we'll have to see.  I think they might have a more regular name like you and K, but we'll think about it later, okay?" ;)  This kid never forgets anything, so this should be interesting...
...


I'm sure that as she gets older & asks questions, my answers will elaborate.  
By the time #3 & #4 get here, we'll be sure to be prepared!  But for now..


No new baby/lack of family/where is Honduras/Spanish questions tonight.  =)

G'night!

~ 6 in Love ~

1 comment:

  1. Rocket Spanish: The Award Winning System That Gets You Speaking Spanish & Loving the Spanish Culture.

    (And the best thing is - it only takes minutes a day)

    ROCKET LANGUAGES was used by over 1.2 million people, just like you, to learn a new language.

    ReplyDelete