Friday, July 6, 2012

Eyes Wide Open & Independence

A few random topics on my mind today.

A little while back, in the midst of our Home Study, Cuban Daddy & I completed some online adoption education courses.  They were required, but we were happy to do them, because we knew we'd learn a lot.  We plan on continuing to learn as much as we can, so we can be as prepared as possible when the babies come home.  We know that going into this, we should expect the unexpected.  We know that there will be many, many unknowns.  We know that we will not have all of the facts, that we will not know their entire (if any) medical history.  One of the courses- the longest- was called Eyes Wide Open & that. it. was.  It brought up a lot of interesting points that we had never thought about.  Especially in regards to helping the children transition from the orphanage to our home.  It helped us see things from their perspectives.  And, wow, I can't imagine what these babies have been through & what they will go through when we bring them home.  We know that they may or may not already be alive at this very moment.   We will not know who they are until we are 'matched' with them after the 2-4 year wait.  It is really, really difficult to think that our babies might be out there right now; going through who knows what.  If you think of us, prayers for our babies wherever they are are so, so appreciated.  




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the other day I was in a fairly busy restaurant with my kids.  A couple of moms, who seemed to be friends, were eating there with their young children also.  One of them had walked off & when she came back, I heard her, slightly embarrassed, say to the other woman of her own child, "Oh my gosh.  He looks like a little orphan."  I felt myself bristle & a lot of thoughts went through my mind all at once. I don't think this woman meant any harm by what she said.  I really don't think she gave it any thought at all. I'm certainly not judging her for saying that.   In fact, I've heard that saying several times before & never given it much extra attention.  However, ever since we have started this process of bringing two orphans into our family, we have begun to see things differently.  We hear things we had never heard before.  We see things we've never seen before.  We think of things we've never thought before.  We even say things we've never said before.    You get the picture.  This has changed us already...for the better.  I hope that in this process, we continue to be open to change, learning more about the world's orphans & what we can do to help.  I hope that we can help spread awareness to others as well.  Maybe then, more of us will choose our words a little more wisely.  ** Because, what really bothered me is that this same situation could occur 5 years from now, when I have all 4 of my children with me.  And then, what will happen to my babies when they overhear that?  Will it chip away at them inside?  Make them sad, embarrassed, hurt, angry? And how will I handle that situation?  Watching our words already... 




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you read the children's book, Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman?  My kids like that one, especially G. We read it tonight before bed.   If you haven't read it, it's about a baby bird who has just hatched & goes on an adventure looking for his mother.  He comes across several animals & types of transportation, and asks them all, "Are you my mother?"  Again, we are seeing things differently now that we are in the middle of the adoption process.  I don't know that I would have ever thought anything of this book, but now I do.  I don't know exactly what to think; it just makes me think- a lot.  Hmm...


And, yes, this is actually K's preferred position for storytime.
 "May I sit on you, pwease?" - every night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to share part of G's bedtime prayer a few nights ago.  At then end of it, she prayed, "...and God, protect us and our babies- you know, the ones that speak Spanish." L.O.V.E. it!!!




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sippys 4 Siblings Update:


Over the past couple of weeks, we received 3 sippy cups from people (family & church).  The kids and I cashed them in at the change machine.  They totaled around $100!!  Yay!  Every single bit helps.  It feels so good to add that to the Adoption fund, knowing that when we need it, it will be there.  A couple of days ago, I received 2 more sippy cups!  I can't wait to take the kids back to the machine.  What generous family & friends we have!  And two of these five sippys are from people we don't even know!  Thank you, thank you, thank you, everyone.  


We still have Sippys 4 Siblings sippy cups if you would like to have one.  You can use them to collect your change & then send them back to us.  Every cent goes towards adoption fees & expenses!  *Some of you have chosen to just use a cup you already have- that works too!






---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We still have lots of T-shirts to sell!  All money made on our ADOPT: Words with Him T-shirts will go towards our adoption fees & expenses.  We have Green & Purple.  Adult sizes are $20, Child sizes are $15.  We are sold out of Adult Smalls & Mediums - in both colors, I believe.  We have Large, XL & XXL.   We have Child sizes in both colors available, XS, S, M, L.

These shirts support us financially & help spread awareness about the need of orphans.  Please comment here or email me at peachzyo@hotmail.com if you would like one!  

Those of you who already have one, feel free to continue to send pics of you wearing them!




We wear ours ALL the time!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you had a wonderful 4th...we did!  
Honestly, there's hardly a day that goes by that I don't think about how grateful I am to live in this country.  I cherish our freedom.  I am so thankful to those who have served and made our freedom possible.  Thank you, God, for Your favor.  

The night before, we had a little pre-4th cookout w/ some of our best buds!  
A great time was had by all!

You should have seen them afterwards.  Note to self: Popsicles in nearly 100 degree temps MELT a lot!


We love going to one of the local parades.  We met some of our best friends there too! 
HOT, but so fun!

                                                                                       Let freedom ring, baby!!!

And a holiday wouldn't be complete w/o a big family get together!  An all American cookout:





And because 3 celebrations weren't enough, we headed out to watch 
a big fireworks display nearby!  
*I LOVE community events like this.  Cuban Daddy makes fun of me.  But, I'd attend things like this daily if I could!*
* This reminds me I need to video K singing some 'American songs' & post.  G too.  So cute.
  



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess that's the end of my random rambling tonight...


Have a good one!

~ 6 in Love ~

2 comments:

  1. Yes--more videos of them, please!!!!

    I totally understand how you felt when you overheard the comment about orphans. I feel that way often when I hear people make racially-charged statements (even jokes), homophobic slurs, etc. We are all sensitive based on our own life experiences, and I think you have a wonderful heart for wanting these two little ones so badly and for already feeling defensive of your future children. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, will video soon!

      I agree with you, Claire. Well said! I feel the same way about fertility after having miscarried & had difficulty getting pregnant with G. I will not be the one asking when anyone is having a baby. Thanks for your insight! =)

      Delete