Sunday, June 3, 2012

Do They Need Saving? Why Not America?

Sorry for the neglect.  I'm at that point where I feel (um, I *am*) behind at everything.  Like when you're spinning your wheels just to maintain.  Not hardly making a dent on the list.  That's a tough place for me to be.  I'm a doer.  An accomplisher. (probably not a word).  And I have so many things going on right now, it can definitely feel overwhelming.  I just try to take it one step at a time, doing what's most necessary first.  Promised photos haven't made the cut yet- sorry.  :(

So, updates



* We have to finish our Home Study paperwork this week.  Major priority. (She's given us this week to get it all in, so I know we can do it!) Much of it has to be completed by Cuban Daddy.  You know, the guy that has worked14 hours straight on a Sunday & still counting? Needless to say, getting this done is quite a task. And part of this is completing the crazy amount of online seminar hours needed. 
* Our daughter, G, just had her 4th birthday!  Although I'm so glad the 'partying' is over, I am sad at how fast time is moving.  She really had a great birthWEEK & reminds me several times a day that she can do things "because I'm four, and I'm a big girl."
* I haven't received ANY photos of you guys in your ADOPT T-shirts!  I'd love for you to snap a pic of yourself wearing your ADOPT shirt & email it to me at peachzyo@hotmail.com  Thanks!
* And something amazing just happened!  I opened the mailbox 2 days ago to find this!!!:



I don't think I closed my mouth for 5 mins. I was in total & complete shock.  It was given to us by dear friends of my mom.  I am so touched at the generosity of this donation.  And as much as I appreciate the money to help bring our babies home, I also appreciate so much her faith in us & what we are doing.  For wanting to take part in adopting these babies.  And we absolutely couldn't do this without such generous donations.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!


In my (cough) spare time, I dive into the adoption world, blogs, etc.  I am eager to learn what we're getting into, & love reading about people going through a similar journey as us.  I am also soaking up as much as I can about the orphans around the world.  I borrowed these photos from various places on the web, and they were all taken of Honduran orphans.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And in doing so, recently, I've come across some noteworthy info I wanted to share.  
Take a look at these.  You won't regret it.:


 (1)     I have rediscovered this blog & am LOVING it.  This particular post was great.
Please check it out to see what we can do to help those who have no voice.




(2)      Same blogger.    Do orphans need saving?




(3)      Along the same lines-   
10 ways you can help orphans:




(4)     And finally, a hot topic for me.  This blogger's answer to "Why would you adopt from another country when there are so many children in need of a home right here?"  
Honestly, if you're asking me, "Why did you decide to adopt from Honduras?" , I'm 100% excited to talk to you about that.  We are open about our journey to adopt, happy to answer any questions, etc.  We welcome well-meaning questions!  =)  However, when you come down on me for going to a third world country to save two lives & bringing two children into our family- as opposed to adopting from the US foster system- this mama bear wants to pounce.  I'm telling you, blood boiling.  How dare you tell us how we should grow our family, where we should get our children, etc.  I don't tell you where/how to get your next child.  Seriously.  And, I'd like to emphasize one of her points, which is one of our biggest reasons for going to Honduras to adopt:  Children in the U.S. foster system ARE in need of loving homes- absolutely! And I hope & pray that families will welcome them to a permanent family soon!  However, the vast majority of them have access to family life, education, food, clean water, clothes, shelter.  Children in orphanages in Honduras (and many other countries around the world) will likely not have enough to eat or clean drinking water, not have enough loving hands to tend to them, be abused and neglected, receive no medical care or education, live horrible lives on the streets...or DIE... if they are not adopted.  This is our heart.  

And, YES, this has happened to us.  And I'm sure it won't be the last time,
but oh man, I hope they know what they're getting in to when they ask...


Okay, so, whatcha think?

~ 6 in Love ~

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Peaches. Such an important point. We get asked ALL the time why we don't work with orphans in the USA, instead of in Guatemala. What you said needs to be said! You and your whole family are in my prayers daily.

    Jessica (Whitter) Hanson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support, prayers, and encouragement, Jessica! I really do appreciate it, especially coming from YOU! I'm praying for you guys & ALL of your precious babies all the time. Love you!

      Delete