Friday, March 23, 2012

This is the Story of Them

Not even 5 minutes ago, I just walked out of my 3 year old daughter's room after having an amazing conversation with her.  Well, I say 'conversation,' but really, she did most of the talking.  Out of nowhere, she started talking about "our babies."  Sometimes she calls them "my babies" and sometimes "your babies."  But she's gets it.  I wanted her to be aware of the fact that she will be getting two new siblings and that they will be adopted (We definitely have not gone into details about what 'adoption' really means, because I don't think she's ready for that.)  She does know that they won't come from my tummy.  She knows that she'll likely be 7 or 8 years old when this happens, although I don't think she quite gets how long away that really is.  *And we have not mentioned anything at ALL about them coming from another country, enduring difficulty, experiencing loss, an orphanage, absolutely NOTHING of the sort.*


 Anyways, she was lying in bed as I was tucking her in a few minutes ago.  Out of the blue, she said this (I'm doing my best to remember wording & order, so I'll get it really close)


"You know when the babies come here, you can put one in my room.  I have 3 pillows so I can share one because they won't have one.  And I'll take care of them.  I'll read them books and they will smile.  I'll give them a baba (bottle) and baby food.  When it's light out, and the moon is gone, they won't be scared, because they'll know that I"m there.  And if they do get scared, I'll go and get them out of their bed and put them in mine.  One baby can sleep in K's room.  And when we're done sleeping, and after I took care of them, I'll bring them to you and put them in your lap."  


Me: (amongst other follow up statements), "That is so sweet that you would help like that."  


G: "Yes there are only two of you...a mommy and a daddy.  And there are two of us children.  We are a family.  And the babies will be in our family.  This is the story of them."  


Then a minute later, "Are they coming from Heaven?  Because that's where Jesus and God are."  


Me: a stumbling 1/2 explanation including something like that I guess they kind of are because we all were created by God and God is in Heaven.  *Again, not ready for her to be aware of that they will have been given up by their birth families and likely endured great trauma in their little lives.  Too much for her right now, so I'm trying to avoid that until she's older.  Or as long as I can.  


After my answer, she said, "Well, will it be before or after Jesus comes back?"  Me (stunned b/c we haven't covered much on Jesus' return): "When is Jesus coming back?"  G (w/o hesitation): "When I'm 8."  Aye aye aye.  


So much here, I don't even know where to begin to process.


What I do know is that God has blessed this angel with the sweetest, most caring, compassionate spirit.  Her heart really is tender.  She has always cared about others and has such a nurturing nature.  Even at a super early age, I feel that she has had great interpersonal skills, being able to read how people are feeling, etc.  I feel that that is one of her gifts for sure.  Ever since she learned to talk (again, really early), she has talked about God & Jesus & about how she sees Them or They talk to her, etc.  A long time ago, she was maybe 2, she told me that Jesus did something (I wish I remembered), and it prompted me to ask where He was.  She said, "Right beside you in the passenger seat."  Another time, she started worshiping completely on her own and said, "I feel God hugging me."  Thank you, Lord, for the blessing on her life.  Thank you that Your hand is on her, protecting, guiding, and drawing her close to You.  We pray that she does great work for His kingdom.


I do know that her heart aches to care for babies...just like her Mama.  


I do know that these babies are going to have an amazing big sister (& brother!) who will LOVE them!


I do know that they will transition with us just fine.  


I do know that God is watching over them, protecting them, just as He is with G & K.


I do know, as G said, that this is their family.  


I do know that at a time when one might feel nervous or doubtful about this process, stressed or fearful of the future, God has given me peace.  And sometimes that peace comes from the mouth of a 3 year old. 



And I do know that "This is the story of them."

~ 6 (totally) in Love ~



2 comments:

  1. Peaches! I am so glad you shared that! G is amazing and I can't wait to watch her as she grows up and loves on these sweet babies coming into your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for reading! I can't wait til they're here! :)

      Delete