Sunday, March 18, 2012

Climbing, Crying, Cribs & Change

So, I can admit when I'm not good at something.  


Let's start here: I'm not good at getting enough sleep.  I stay up way late working on things & then the kids wake up super early.  So, maybe- on a good night- 5 hrs a night? With enough caffeine in me, I'm good to go.  Lacking, I'm in a miserable daze.  Last night was not one of those good nights.  


I was proud of myself for getting to bed before 1:00...it was maybe 12:30.  Just as I had dozed off, around 12:45, I hear K screaming something to me & his yells were getting closer and closer. What in the world?!  I met him at my door.  He had climbed -silently- out of his crib & opened his door in the pitch dark.  At this time (I was delirious), I don't remember what he was saying.  But I do know that it had purpose.  He has escaped twice before: the first time super stealth & successful, the second time he landed on his face.  I guess it scared him as much as it did us b/c he hasn't tried it for weeks now.  Until last night.  So, I scooped him up and tried to lay him back in his crib, when he totally freaked out!  I mean, screaming & clawing at me, absolutely terrified of what you may ask?  He thought there were ladybugs in his crib.  He must have had a sad little attack of the killer ladybugs dream.  It was actually completely heartbreaking.  I couldn't bear to put him down, so I stuck him in bed with us.  Major mistake.  I don't know what I was thinking.  Our kids have never....NEVER ever...slept with us.  We wanted that.  We did that on purpose.  At first, it was because we didn't feel it was safe.  Also, we didn't want to form & later have to break that habit.  **I know there are lots of people that co-sleep...to each his own. No judgment here.**  Turns out, our kids do best in their bed.  We have tried on occasion to put them in bed with us, such as if they're sick.  NEVER has it worked.  Didn't know why I thought this would be different.  So, I work for 2 hours to get him to sleep.  By 3 am, Cuban Daddy (who had to show houses downtown in a few hours) had had it.  He put him in his crib & it seemed to work.  I couldn't fall asleep knowing he could escape so I watched him on the monitor til he fell asleep (or so I thought.)  Just in case, I lied in bed about 5 mins and checked my email.  Satisfied that all was completely silent, I glanced one more time at the monitor...only to find him teetering on the rail!  I raced in there, caught him, laid him down again.  By the time I got back to my bed to see the monitor...he was teetering again.  Once more, I tried to get him to sleep...this time putting the 2 year old on top of me in our bed.  Cuban Daddy, w/o saying a word headed out the door, flipping on lights in the other rooms.  I thought he was going to work at 3 am?  K fell asleep (miracle) & Cuban Daddy comes back to bed saying that K now has a big boy bed.  Ha! My husband, the problem solver. K slept 3 hrs with us & then woke everyone around 6:30.  So, last night, my total sleep hours were about 3 1/2.  Ugh.  


So, that was a much longer & more detailed story than I had anticipated.  Sorry! 
But it brings me to a couple of thoughts:


So, with K finally asleep on my chest, I thought of #3 & #4 and the 100s of millions like them.  Millions?!  Oh heartache.  My heart literally felt as if it was breaking as I lay there thinking of them.  How many of them had tried to climb out of their crib?  Did they have someone diligently watching to keep them safe?  What about a dad that would get up in the middle of the night to make it safe for them?  And if they fell, how long did it take for them to be picked up?  And if they had a nightmare, was there someone to hold them and rock them all night?  And if they had a tummy ache?  Were thirsty?  Needed to potty? Breaking thinking that my babies likely didn't have any of that.  Not that Cuban Daddy & I are perfect parents, but we do try & we do love & we will do anything for them.  I know many of you reading this have gone through similar things...probably many times.  This is just one little story, I know.  But it's the little things like this that I often think about and wish that I could be there for my babies right now.  And not just our babies, but for all of the children out there without parents and a family.  


At this moment, as I finish writing this:

K just woke from his first successful nap in his new big boy bed!  Short, but still...success.  G chose not to nap for the 2nd day in a row....nooo! ;)  So, right now, the kids are eating their after-nap snack & watching "Dinosaur Train" on PBS.  I just had a conversation with 3 year old G about how this cartoon is about *Adoption* as well.  Love that they have this show out there!  I think it will be a good tool for us to use in the next couple of years.


This is not the only "change" we've had in the past couple of days.  We've also received a couple of anonymous people from our church turn in their Sippys 4 Siblings change!  I took one donated bag to the store the other day & it amounted to $43!!  This morning at church (Yes, if you are reading this and saw me this morning, maybe the above explanation will explain today's rough look...ha!), I received another bag of Sippy cup change!  Can't wait to cash it in.  People are beginning to turn in their Sippys 4 Siblings change, and we are in awe of others' generosity!  Thank you so much, every bit helps.  There is no deadline for getting the change in...just whenever you are ready.  We are so appreciative...thank you!


Sippys 4 Siblings is like our pot of gold... Happy St. Patty's Day!      






Day ONE of the "Big Boy Bed": 




Tired Daddy after Day ONE in Big Boy Bed...ha!!  G climbed on him as he was napping, & told me that he was her prince and she'd kiss him to wake him.  Cute! 


Praying for more sleep tonight!


*And my baby brother's wedding is tomorrow night...yay!


~ 6 in Love ~

No comments:

Post a Comment