Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Home Study Visit Complete!

Well, we are super relieved to check that one off our list!  Tonight, we met our social worker for the home study, Ms. J.  She came to our house, getting lost on the way, just as we knew she would.  Everyone who visits us for the first time does! ;)  (We happen to like that 'I'm in the middle of nowhere feel' Ha). 


 She was very kind, friendly, easy to talk to, and didn't even seem to mind that my hair was still wet from the shower.  She's from the north, but I won't hold that against her.  Joking, people!  She and Cuban Daddy totally hit it off, bonding over 'real' New York pizza. ;)  I think after that, we were in!  It was a very easy, much more relaxed visit than I had expected.  It lasted about 1 hr 15 mins.  Included a casual chat (even though she did have a list of topics/questions to go over, and she took notes).  Hard to take things too seriously when you have a 3 year old staring at you (her) across the room with a thing in each hand she wants to show you.  Sweet baby lasted about 20 mins that way & then the social sweetly stopped our convo, called G over and looked at G's baby photo book and Easter craft she made at school, complete with real ooh's and aah's. :)  Meanwhile, K must have driven every truck/car he owns through that living room...yes, his were complete with noises too!  When he saw G show her those things, he raced over to show her his trucks. ;)  We waded through some 'official' adoption talk (Mostly, why we want to adopt, why siblings, why Honduras, and some challenges we may face with institutionalized children, the unknown, and what the rest of this Home Study process will look like), a tiny bit of paperwork, and then the grand tour of the house.  Wow, where was the white glove I was prepared for?  (kidding...kind of).  But she just walked around with us, looked at a couple of safety things, like smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, and more I'm sure.  She took notes about rooms, layout, and whatever else.  She didn't even look that I scrubbed behind the toilet, vacuumed the baseboards w/ the little attachment that nearly killed me (There's a reason I let CD do the vacuuming!),  organized the kids' Little People, dusted the window sills, got all the spots off the kitchen floor courtesy of some good ole fashion elbow grease...She didn't open a single closet or cabinet.  And that was okay by me!  It feels SO good to have the house looking great.  I'm going to keep it this way, I'm going to keep it this way, I'm going to keep it this way...


Next step is individual meetings/interviews for Cuban Daddy and me.  They won't be at our house...praise. the. Lord.  Then we have one more meeting together.  They must be spread apart over a few weeks.  I'm thinking one a week would be great.  The faster, the better I think!  BUT...there's some paperwork we have to fill out (shocker, right?)  & some things we have to send off (which means we're waiting on them to get results to us).  So, we can only go so fast.

She ended the night telling us our family was beautiful & the that the kids were smart. (What mom doesn't love to hear that, right?) ;)  (*this was after K shouted to her as she was heading down the stairs & out the door, "Going on adventure?!" ...I'm thinking she's just been on one, buddy!)  



Thank you, everyone for all of your prayers and genuine sweet thoughts today.  Your words of encouragement were just what I needed to make it through today (I've been SCRUBBING floor to ceiling all day, going over what I might need to say, making sure everyone is home and clean and fed on time before she came...).  It really did mean a lot to me to hear from you all.  Thank you! =)  And those prayers definitely, definitely worked!


And it's very possible that I just treated myself to some of the kids' cookies as some sort of reward.  
And this booty?  It's not getting off the sofa tonight!


*** Exciting news!!!  I have pics of the Adoption T-shirts! I'll blog quickly about that and share them in just a few minutes... ***

Going to sleep so well tonight, 

~ 6 in Love ~


What's not to love about these 3?!


The kids' organized playroom (well, part of it...) 

No comments:

Post a Comment