Saturday, September 7, 2013

Kids' Bloodwork: Sugar Makes Everything (a little) Better

Well, they did it.

It wasn't perfect, certainly not tear-free, and involved A LOT of sugar. 

And bravery.

But they did it.
---------------------------------------------------------

As we stated before, our Dossier is entirely 'approved' in Honduras (Yay!), except that they are requiring that we have G & K's bloodwork done.  To find out exactly what that meant & all that was a 2 week ordeal.  And, despite all, it does not appear that insurance will pay for it.... b/c it's "for an adoption."  Ugh.  

Cuban Daddy and I were understandably upset about having to take our two small children to have this seemingly unnecessary procedure done.  However, we knew we had to get it done.  

We were finally able to get an appointment for 8:00 a.m. yesterday morning.  We purposely didn't tell G & K anything about it, because we didn't want them to worry.  We also chose NOT to tell them it was related to the adoption at all.  We know them, knew how hard it was going to be, and knew that it wouldn't be good for them to connect this with the adoption (at this age).   

One hard part was that they couldn't eat after midnight the night before...and nothing but water until after the labs.  Considering they usually wake at 6:00 a.m. and almost immediately ask to eat was a tough one.  We avoided an early-morning meltdown by promising we'd go to Panera afterwards & they could pick ANYTHING they wanted for breakfast.  And we prepped like G was going to go in late to school afterwards, knowing she may not feel like it; so, we were planning on letting her decide later.  

After check in, I took G back to the lab area, while Cuban Daddy sat with K in the waiting area.  She was anxious & fussed a little before hand.  I sat her in my lap, with one of her arms around my back like a hug.  One nurse held her other arm still while the other did the bloodwork.  I held the little stuffed puppy she brought cuddled next to her face so she couldn't watch.  She cried the whole time.  Awful.  Then I switched, brought her to Cuban Daddy & took K quickly...before he had a chance to analyze big sissy's tears.  I used his little stuffed owl to hide his view too.  He cried too, and kept giving me such pitiful, desperate looks.  He even asked afterwards why I would take him to do that. :(  Broke my heart.  They took 5-6 viles each.  Geez, I felt like that was a lot for such little under 40 lb bodies!    Neither of them fought it or pulled away, and both were so brave. I was really proud of them!  
(And for future/documentation purposes, we had to do UA for each as well.)

They were richly rewarded with gigantic lollipops 
in the waiting room.  

And that seemed to help...
at least, a little bit.

By this time, we're all starving & Cuban Daddy & I feel so awful about the whole thing.  We were desperate to make them feel better.  We headed across the street.  Remember, we said, "You can pick anything you want for breakfast."  Right.  We said 'anything.'

So... a giant chocolate candy cookie for K....and an enormous cupcake for G.
(You know the workers thought we were parents of the year.) 

G was definitely still shaken after breakfast, but knew she had a fun day planned at school.  They had some special activities that day.  So, she chose to go.  *She's really LOVING this Kindergarten year, and I'm so, so happy about that!!!* 

K desperately wanted to play baseball at the park (that's his new passion).  And although I didn't know if he would feel like it, we went anyway.

We had a great time!  
(I didn't let us stay as long as usual.)

(Fully aware this is a light pink bat.  Popi, he's ready for you to bring him one, 
so he doesn't have to use Sissy's!)  ;)  

I took only ONE photo of him running as we were playing, thinking when I took it, "Well, that was probably blurry.  Oh well." (Neither of us were in the mood for many pics.) When I looked through them later, I was in love.  This has got to be one of my favorite pics ever of him!  It totally captures his personality.  <3

So, so exhausted. :(  Darn bloodwork.


At a stop light, I remember glancing back at him & he was holding his poor arm.
Only later yesterday, when I looked through my phone, did I realize just how awful he looked (and apparently, felt).
This is not like him!  :(


The kids told us afterwards, "That was NOT fun."  We agreed.  Totally right.  That was not fun.
But, unfortunately,  it was necessary.
And now it's over.

As soon as we get the results from the Peds, we can scan them in to our agent in TX.  She'll send them to Honduras, and hopefully all will be finally approved. 

It's unreal to me that we have been working on this adoption for almost 2 years, and are yet to have a Wait List #.

Soon, very soon, I hope.  
Prayers appreciated!

~ 6 (sugared up &) in Love ~


2 comments:

  1. Sorry they had to do scary bloodwork, but oh my gosh that picture of Kruz running with his hair all around him is so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! It was definitely a bummer. Sometimes fluke shots are the best ones, aren't they? =)

      Delete