Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Gracias Por Todo, Papi

At 12:30 a.m., Monday, October 1, 2012, my husband (Cuban Daddy)'s father, Manuel, went to be with the Lord.  (Pulmonary Fibrosis)  I have no doubt that Heaven was partying upon Papi's arrival, for he was indeed 'a good and faithful servant.' But, as for his family- my family- we are mourning the loss of one of the greatest men we've ever known.  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In May 2002, Cuban Daddy graduated from the university that we attended.  It was a month or two before that, I had arrived back to campus after studying abroad for the semester.  Within those couple of months leading up to his graduation, CD and my friendship began to turn into something more.  I met his family for the first time when they came in town for his graduation.  I wasn't sure where our relationship would go at the time, but I loved his family instantly.  Especially Papi. Two years later we were married.  I believe that my husband has inherited many wonderful traits from his father.  Easy-going, calm, and level-headed- ALL the time.  (It's incredible, really.)  A love for fishing.  Sense of humor. Love & pursuit of the Lord & desire to lead a Godly household. Compassion towards others.  MacGyver inventiveness.  Mr. Fix-Its.  "I'm not sure how to do this, but I'm going to do it anyway."- and do it right, they do.  Ambition & confidence.  Excellent Husbands & Daddies.  Passion.  A friend to all that they meet; loved by all.  And it's this last one that has been so meaningful to me.  For, technically, I have been Papi's 'daughter' for 8 1/2 years, but he has treated me as though I've been his daughter for life.  Instantly loved; instantly part of the family.  And for that, I'm forever grateful.  

Manuel (affectionately called 'Manolo' by many) was born in Cuba in 1933. He came to know the Lord &  after that, he dedicated his life to serving Him.  He studied God's word like no one I've ever met before.  He had a heart and passion for bring others to the Lord- for showing them God's love and goodness.  He began his ministry there, and continued it for the rest of his life, all around the world.  He began &/or pastored Spanish churches in Cuba, Costa Rica, Canada, Peru, New York, and Florida.  His heart for the Lord and his neighbor were evident to all that he met.  He was a very special, sweet, humble, loving man who has changed countless lives for the good.  His life story is actually INCREDIBLE...it's a story that needs to be shared. And the remarkable journey from Communist Cuba to freedom- one of a kind.  
(maybe later?)

Besides being a Pastor, he was also a wonderful husband, father, grandfather (Abuelo), and friend.  He will be greatly missed.  I loved him so much.   I am honored to have been a part of his family- to be his daughter.  And I am confident I will see him again.  

I can't help but think that his incredible life journey, and all of his travels in pursuit of the Lord's work-  that it was God's amazing, perfect plan.  I know that it was.  Despite all, his youngest son ended up at the same university as me, at the same time.  10 years later, a happy marriage, 2 beautiful children here & 2 more 'on the way,' we are living the "American Dream."  How amazing to think that if one step were taken in a different direction, Cuban Daddy & I wouldn't have met & we wouldn't be here, with this life, with these babies.

Gracias por todo, Papi.  

How I remember him:

On his wedding day & with his beautiful young family 
(Cuban Daddy is the little guy)

On my first ever trip 'home' to Florida with Cuban Daddy, the boys took me fishing.  It was such a fun night, a beautiful sunset, getting to know each other, and...I caught more fish than the boys!! ;)  I think it might have been that night that Papi was happy to let me into the family...
he LOVED fishing. 

I love these smiles! 

My spunky 76 year old Father-in-law climbed that tree in seconds...despite our voiced concerns!  A great representative of his personality.  Love this about him! 

** Aren't they both so handsome??**


Abuelo helped K with his first dip ever in the ocean 

My in-laws with all 6 of their grandchildren & their 3 sons.  I think this is what made Papi the happiest- having his family all together.

Running up and down the beach with little G.  This was one of my favorite times with him. 

Seems we spent a lot of time on the beach. :)  K was Abuelo's buddy. 

G had her first ever guitar lesson.  This was the last visit they had together. 

They were both so happy just being together. 

The memorial table we set up at his funeral: Thursday, October 4, 2012.

...including some special photos: 
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Gracias por todo, Papi.

Thank you for giving me your little boy...

...who grew up to be the most amazing man that I know made you so proud in all that he did, 
in all that he is.  Thank you for giving me my husband. 

...and thank you for my babies. You will always be a part of them.  

Gracias por todo, Papi.

Your Daughter
~ 6 in Love ~

*** Some have asked how you can help.  Any donations towards funeral expenses would be greatly appreciated if anyone was looking to help in that way.  You can give donations to us or mail them directly to my mother in law. (If you want, I'll private mssg her address.)  And THANK YOU so much to all that have supported us during this difficult time- phone calls, texts, emails, messages, cards, providing a meal, flowers, visits, and financial donations.  Every single gesture was appreciated, I can promise you that!

No comments:

Post a Comment