Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Operation Christmas Child

Have you heard of- or participated in- "Operation Christmas Child"?  I've done it a few different years.  It's fantastic! Creating Christmas for a child who otherwise wouldn't have one.  And it's so easy.

One of the things I love most about this program is that my kids can help choose, buy, and pack items to send to a child who is in need.  Anyone can do this.  Basically, you just take a shoebox, fill it with small items, and drop it off.  The Samaritan's Purse delivers them to children in need all around the world.  

I was at a local Arts/Crafts festival a couple of weeks ago (shocker, right?) & the Samaritan's Purse had a booth set up.  I stopped to talk to the man for a few minutes.  He travels the world making the deliveries of shoe boxes.  And guess where he has one of his 'homes'?  Yep, Honduras.  When I told him we were adopting from there, he told me that there is an orphanage that they visit there annually.  I love that we can have a hand in bringing smiles and meeting needs of children in desperate situations.

Who can participate?  ANYONE!

Ideas for how to make a box:

You can do it alone!  Or... Make one with a neighbor.  Go in together with you & your child's best friend.  A sports team?  A Bible study?  Small group?  Churches?  Your office?  A classroom?  

It would be so easy to type an email, send it to a few people (w/ links, this blog, etc.) & tell people ideas of items to bring.  Gather together & take a few minutes to pack the boxes.

My babies & I will be hitting the Dollar Store later!  They will LOVE it!


Operation Christmas Child- official site


FAQ's


Easy steps to packing a shoe box:


You can actually track your shoe box around the world & see where it lands!


Drop off Locations:







A few awfully-taken photos of the brochure I picked up at the show:






Have you participated before?
Are you going to make one this year?

~ 6 in Love ~

No comments:

Post a Comment