Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Drive Down- Vacay Part 1

So, in the previous post, I mentioned that we were able to head to Florida to visit Cuban Daddy's family (especially since his dad is quite ill).  

I knew it'd be a LONG drive for the little ones.  We've done it several times, but this time we were leaving at odd hours & I wasn't sure how that was going to work.  I wanted to be prepared, so I scoured Pinterest to be inspired.  I stayed up til 3 am the night before the trip (my most brilliant idea ever?) to prepare for the trip. I made a late night trip to the Dollar Store & came up w/ the following:

2 cookie sheets- one w/ magnetic letters & one w/ magnetic numbers.  I wrote on the sheets w/ a sharpie & the kids loved matching them.  
Total cost for sheets & magnets for both sets: $4.

Two sets of 5 'sewing' boards.  One set of Transportation & one set of Sea Creatures.  I put each set in a sandwich baggy w/ the two shoe strings that came w/ each.
Total cost for both sets: $2.  
 

A bag of pipecleaners.
Cost: $1 

An old shoe box & a pack of 3 little cars.  I colored a track onto the lid, as well as one on the inside of the box.  They each had cars & took turns w/ who got the box & who got the lid. This didn't occupy them for a long period of time, but K did ask for it a couple of times on the trip.  
Total cost: $1  



(I drew this in like 2 mins. flat, so don't judge the art! ha)

-------------------------- 



I was having way too much fun in the Dollar Store when I decided to try some new ideas.  I bought a couple packs of the 'gummy type' window clings & a pack of the plasticy window clings (my kids like Dinos).  They used them to stick on the backs of the cookie sheets.  They LOVED the gummy type, but said the thing plasticy type didn't work as well.  
Total cost: $3 

I drew letters and words on different colored pieces of construction paper.  Names, ordered alphabet & numbers, random placement, etc.  I put them in a large zipper folder w/ a couple packs of letter & number stickers.   G LOVED this activity & it kept her busy for a long time.  For K, I just drew pictures & gave him picture stickers to make different scenes.  He would have enjoyed his packet WAY more if he could get the stickers off easier himself.
Total cost: $5

A couple sheets of foil in a baggy.  To make creations. 

And these binders I made for each of them didn't even get used!  I was psyched about them, but I wasn't brave enough to bust them out. I think I definitely will on road trips next summer though!  Included: 3 ring binder, zipper pouch, dry erase markers, clear page protector covers, and free colored printouts & workbook pages.
Total cost for both sets: $8 


And the "teacher" in me came up w/ this idea.  Write on sentence strips, tape them together, and 3 of them slide perfectly into a page protector.  G can practice writing w/ her dry erase markers.    A few examples to follow.
Total cost: $1 





By around 10:30 pm, we had this: 

And what I should have taken photos of- the true gift of long drives- SNACKS!  C'mon, you mamas know what I'm talking about.  You can't have enough.  I bought a few new ones they don't typically have, so that was a fun treat.  

Okay, and the secret to keeping the first baby that wakes quiet (& not fussy, although they totally are) so they don't wake the sibling?  Ring Pops.  Oh yes I did. 
$0.50 at Walmart.  The best $0.50 EVER spent.
Worked every single time.
(My little ones are a little sugar deprived, 
so it's my "bribery/save the day/
hush, this is an important phone call" tool. 
Probably not recommended by your local psychologist,  pediatrician, or dentist.  But, I don't care.)  ;)
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminded that when Babies #3 & #4 get here, 
we'll need a BIGGER car...and more Ring Pops, 

~ 6 in Love ~


2 comments:

  1. wow! i need to go on another vacation so that i can steal some of your ideas for macyn! :) you are so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, J! It did help & was cheap. They're still asking to play with the things, but I think I should hide them away for road trips only. You think? (I totally stole ideas...)

      Delete